Overview of Professional Liability Insurance for Residents and Fellows at KUMC

As you leave training, you will need to provide evidence of previous professional liability insurance coverage and, likely, a claims history report (also known as a “loss run” report). The information included below is intended to help you answer questions regarding your insurance coverage while a resident or fellow at KUMC, complete licensure applications, and request insurance verification/claims history letters from OARC.

Carrier:  Kansas Health Care Stabilization Fund (pursuant to K.S.A. 40-3401, et seq.)

Carrier’s Address:  300 SW 8th Ave., 2nd Floor, Topeka, KS 66603-3912

Carrier’s Contact Info:  Phone: (785) 291-3777; Fax: (785) 291-3550; Email: hcsf@ks.gov

Policy #:  No policy number; State 'self-insurance'

Policy Limits:  Total coverage limits: $1,000,000 per claim/$3,000,000 annual aggregate. Primary coverage of $500,000 per claim and $1,500,000 annual aggregate through a State self-insurance program; excess coverage of $500,000 per claim and $1,500,000 annual aggregate through the HCSF.

Type of Coverage:  Statutory (identified as neither “claims-made” or “occurrence” by the HCSF). The coverage is similar, however, to occurrence based coverage because you are covered for any claims/lawsuits arising out of professional activities engaged in as part of your training no matter when they are asserted or filed.  

Effective Dates:  The dates during which you were employed by and training at KUMC.

Exclusions:  This coverage does NOT extend to moonlighting activities.

Frequently Asked Questions

Before requesting a letter yourself, check with the hospital, clinic or professional practice group at which you’re applying for privileges. Often, they request these letters for you. If you find that you need to provide one yourself, please email OARC at risk@ku.edu. You may also need to provide a letter yourself if you’re applying for new professional liability insurance or applying for a medical license in another state.

If you’re requesting your claims history report (in addition to insurance verification), you’ll need to complete a release of information form. Please email OARC at risk@ku.edu to request the form and instructions for completion.

The HCSF does not, like other insurance companies, provide “face sheets” for their insurance coverage. Notices of Basic Coverage are sent from KUMC’s Graduate Medical Education and General Counsel’s Office to the HCSF and they keep Certifications of Compliance on file. When you (or your employer) submit(s) a request for insurance verification/claims history to OARC, you/they will receive a signed form confirming insurance/claims history details. This serves as a “face sheet.”

For its own online application for permanent licensure, the Kansas Board of Healing Arts recommends that you enter “Selfinsured” or “Selfinsured1,” which would provide the requisite letters/numbers to complete the field and move forward. If applying for a license in another state and you run into this problem, you will want to check with the licensing organization to find out what to enter in this field.